The general objective of the project is to increase the level of automation of the current assembly process of fuselage parts such as panels and frames of a regional aircraft, by means of lean and flexible automated solutions in replacement of manual assembly or complex ad-hoc machine constructions and high-payload robots used in conjunction with external metrology systems. The adoption of such a solution will also allow human operators to share the area with robots during the manufacturing process, being this one of the key aspect of Industry 4.0.
The specific objectives of LABOR project listed below, are set to allow realization of a fully functional, replicable and therefore widely exploitable solution, employing small – medium size robots, smart on-line inspection tools and distributed intelligence.
- Objective 1: Development of a self-adaptive system able to perform an automated drilling and fastener insertion, based on robotized systems for composite structures.
- Objective 2: Development of smart inspection tools.
- Objective 3: Development of distributed intelligence architecture and Human-Machine-Interface.
- Objective 4: Ergonomic design and work space monitoring algorithms.
- Objective 5: Integration and prototyping of the LABOR system.
- Objective 6: Demonstration in real environment.